How To Set Up Local Delivery Shopify?
In this article, you will learn:
To manage your shipping process and make shipping of your Shopify store affordable, there are a host of things that you can do within your Shopify Shipping account. One of those things is to set up pickup and local delivery options for customers who are buying locally from you.
Setting up the pickup and local delivery options for local customers helps you not only cover some of the costs you have for shipping products but it also speeds up your fulfillment times significantly.
Thus, you can give your customers the option to either pick up in-store or use a local delivery rate. In case you choose to offer the local delivery option, you can either have your staff or a third-party delivery service manage the local delivery process.
Note that to set up local delivery, you must activate the local delivery option for each location that you offer delivery from in your Shopify Shipping. You can offer delivery either within a set distance from your location or for certain postal codes.
In case you choose to set a distance from which buyers can use the local delivery service, your Shopify Shipping will not display this as an option unless it is within the specifications of the location you’ve selected. This means that your customer has local delivery as an option at checkout only if his or her address is within your delivery area.
If you are planning to offer local pick up and delivery to your local customers and want to know how this is done in Shopify, you need not worry as in this article we are going to explain to you in detail how to set up local delivery Shopify. We will also let you know the tools that can help you to fulfill the delivery orders.
What Is Local Delivery On Shopify?
Local delivery and pickup are fulfillment options that Shopify stores can offer to their customers. These options provide convenience and flexibility to your customers while also allowing you as an online business to cater to local markets.
Local delivery on Shopify is one of the fulfillment methods that involves delivering orders directly to your customers’ addresses located within a specified geographic area. Your customers typically choose this option during the checkout process, and you as a Shopify store coordinate the delivery to the provided address. Typically, you use local delivery methods to reach customers located in the same city or region as your business, thereby offering faster delivery times compared to standard shipping. Note that local delivery may come with additional fees, and businesses may set specific delivery zones, times, and rates.
Pickup on Shopify, on the other hand, is another fulfillment method that allows your customers to place orders online and pick them up at a physical location, such as a retail store or a designated pickup point. Customers choose the pickup option during the checkout process, and you as an online store prepare the order for the customer to collect at a specified time. This option is convenient for customers who prefer to save on shipping costs or who want to pick up their orders on their own schedule.
You may also go for the Hybrid Fulfillment Method wherein you may offer a combination of both local delivery and pickup options, allowing your customers to choose the fulfillment method that best suits their preferences and needs. This flexibility can help your Shopify store to cater to a broader range of customer preferences and offer a seamless shopping experience.
Local Delivery or pick up on Shopify is a method of delivering goods that you can offer to your customers who are local or are located close to your business. In this method, instead of shipping goods to the customer’s address, you either ask them to pick up goods from your local store or
Thus, local delivery and pickup are customer-centric fulfillment options that enhance the overall shopping experience by providing convenience, flexibility, and potentially faster access to products. These options have become particularly popular in response to changing consumer preferences and the desire for more control over the delivery process.
Also Read: How To Set Up A Shopify Store?
Can You Set Up Local Delivery On Shopify?
As a Shopify store, you can set up the local delivery option for your local customers to have their orders delivered to their address located within a specified geographic area. However, in order to deliver the orders to the customer’s address, both you as a Shopify store, and your local customers have to meet certain requirements.
The following section lays down the eligibility criteria for you as a Shopify store and your local customers.
Eligibility Criteria For Shopify Store Owners
- You must have a Shopify Plus Plan
- You must have 20 or fewer locations
- Your custom checkout option must be deactivated
If you meet the above eligibility criteria, you can use the local delivery option. After ensuring that you meet this eligibility criterion, the next thing that you need to do is to enable the local delivery option in your Shopify account.
Also Read: Shopify
Eligibility Criteria For Local Customers
Your local customers can use the local delivery option offered by your Shopify store only if they meet the following eligibility criteria.
- All physical products in your customer’s cart must be eligible for delivery from one location.
- The delivery location must have the inventory available to fulfill the entire order of your customer.
- Your customer shouldn’t choose an accelerated checkout method other than Shop Pay in the first step of the checkout. In case your customer pays using Apple Pay, Google Pay, Amazon Pay, or PayPal, then the local delivery option is not available to him or her. That’s because local delivery works with Shop Pay and does not work with other accelerated checkouts like Apple Pay, Google Pay, Amazon Pay, or PayPal.
- Google must be able to verify your customer’s delivery address. To select a verified address, your customers can use the dropdown menu of suggested addresses at checkout.
- Your customer’s address must be either:
- within the designated delivery radius and the same province state or
- within the designated postal codes and in the same country
In addition to the above eligibility criteria, there are certain other things that your customers must keep in mind when choosing the local delivery option at your Shopify store.
- Your customers cannot choose an accelerated checkout method other than Shop Pay in the first step of the checkout if they want local delivery of items. That’s because local delivery in Shopify works with Shop Pay only.
- Your customers cannot have some items shipped and some items delivered on the same order. If they want to go this way, they need to place two separate orders.
- Your customers can include delivery instructions at checkout and are required to leave a phone number so you can contact them.
How To Set Up Local Delivery Shopify?
To set up local delivery as a fulfillment method in your Shopify store, there are a host of things that you need to complete.
- You need to migrate your local delivery method in case you previously set up local delivery by editing your shipping zones and rates. Migrating your local delivery method means shifting to a new method to set up local delivery, that is setting up local delivery from the Shipping and Delivery page rather than setting up local delivery shipping rates by editing your shipping zones.
- You must add every location from where you want to offer delivery to your customers.
- Each delivery location must have enough stock inventory to fulfill your customer orders.
- Third-party shipping apps might not get along with the new shipping method. Therefore, you must maintain caution while using such apps.
- Every person who is preparing items for delivery or marking orders as delivery must have access to your Shopify Admin.
- Allow each delivery location to fulfill online orders.
Also Read: How To Set Up Shipping On Shopify?
Since we are clear with all the requirements that you need to meet before setting up local delivery, you can now set up local delivery for every location where you want to offer delivery.
Note that you can offer delivery to your local customers either within a distance radius or to select postal codes. In case you want to use a delivery radius, you must ensure that your business location must be verified.
Also, if you choose to use a delivery radius to offer delivery to your local customers, you can choose to include neighboring states, provinces, or regions. You can do this by enabling “Include Neighboring States Or Regions”. By doing so, you can offer delivery to customers who reside in these neighboring states or regions.
Note that the delivery radius cannot be extended to other countries even if you activate the “Include Neighboring States Or Regions” option.
Once you set up local delivery, you can start fulfilling local delivery orders. To set up local delivery in Shopify, you need to follow the steps below.
How Do I Enable Local Delivery On Shopify?
1. Log in to your Shopify Admin, go to “Settings”, and click on it. Under “Settings”, click “Shipping And Delivery”.
2. Under “Shipping And Delivery”, go to the ‘Local Delivery’ section. In this section, click on the location for which you want to activate local delivery.
3. Once you click on the location, then select “This Location Offers Local Delivery”.
4. Then, go to the ‘Delivery Area’ section. In this section, use one of the following methods to set a delivery area:
A. Set A Delivery Radius
- To set a delivery radius, you first need to select a unit of measurement as well as enter the maximum distance between your delivery location and the location where you want to deliver. The maximum distance that you can set up is 160 kilometers or 100 miles.
- Once you set the unit of measurement and the radius, you can then choose to activate the “Include Neighboring States Or Regions” option.
B. Use Postal Codes
If you choose to use this method, you must enter a list of postal codes where you want to deliver goods to your customers. Note that you can enter a maximum of 3000 characters and each of the postal codes must be separated by a comma and a space.
If you want to add a group of postal codes, you just add either an asterisk or space after the initial characters to denote that there are a range of postal codes.
5. This step is optional. In case you want to offer delivery on orders over a certain price, then you must enter the amount in the “Minimum Order Price” section.
6. Once you add either the postal codes or delivery radius, the next step is to enter a delivery price. In case you want to offer free delivery, then enter ‘0’ under the delivery price.
7. This step is again optional. In this step, you need to go to the “Delivery Information” section and enter a message to customers with details of your local delivery services.
8. Once you follow all the above steps, then click on ‘Save’.
Note that when you set up the local delivery option in Shopify, you create a delivery area or zone by default. In Shopify, you can add up to 9 additional delivery zones based on radius or sets of postal codes. Also, each delivery zone can have a separate set of conditional prices.
In case you choose to use radius, then you must set the Delivery Radius as the maximum distance for each zone. To understand how this is done, let’s consider an example. You can set the following delivery zones based on the delivery radius and set the delivery price accordingly.
|Minimum Order Price
Also Read: How To Set Up Shopify Markets?
Let’s say that you have a customer who is located within 12 km. The delivery price that you will charge to such a customer will be $20. Though, both Zone 2 and 3 apply to your customer located within 12 km. But you will charge $20 as the delivery price to your customer. That’s because the delivery price for Zone 2 is less than Zone 3, therefore, you will charge your customer the delivery price for Zone 2.
In case you have a customer whose order is less than $20, then such a customer is not eligible for local delivery. That’s because zones 1, 2, and 3 all have a minimum order price of $20.00.
While setting up multiple delivery zones and conditional prices, you have to ensure that you charge the lowest applicable delivery price.
How Do I Add Delivery Zones While Setting Up Local Delivery On Shopify?
1. Log in to your Shopify Admin. Once you log in, go to “Settings”. Under “Settings”, click on “Shipping and Delivery”.
2. Under “Shipping and Delivery”, go to the “Local Delivery” section. In this section, click on “Manage” next to the location where you want to add conditional delivery rates. In case you have several locations, then click on “Show More” to display all of your locations.
3. After clicking on “Manage” next to the location where you want to add conditional delivery rates, go to the “Delivery Area” section. In this section, click on “Create Delivery Zone”.
4. Then, enter a Zone name.
5. After entering the Zone Name, enter a “Delivery Radius” or set of “Postal Codes”.
6. The next step is optional. If you choose to offer delivery only on orders over a certain price, you must enter the amount in the “Minimum Order Price” field.
7. Once you enter the Zone Name and Delivery Radius or Postal Codes, then enter a delivery price. Enter ‘0’ in the ‘Delivery Price’ section in case you want to offer free delivery.
8. This step is again an optional step and it pertains to the “Delivery Information” section. In this section, enter a message to customers with details of your local delivery services.
9. Once you complete all the above steps, then click on the ‘Save’ button.
How Do I Charge Local Delivery On Shopify?
As mentioned in the above section, you also need to add a delivery price once you add the delivery location and the delivery radius. If you choose to offer free delivery, then you must enter ‘0’ under the “Delivery Price”.
Also, you can add price-based rules that will help you determine the amount you need to charge for local delivery. In order to lend flexibility to your delivery pricing, you can set up to 3 additional rules.
Let’s consider an example to understand how price-based rules help you to determine the amount you need to charge for local delivery. Say, the minimum order value at which you offer local delivery to your customers is $10. This means your customers have to place a minimum order of $10 at your store in order to avail of local delivery service from your online store.
Once you set the minimum order value for local delivery, you can set the following rules:
|Orders Starting At $10
|Orders Starting At $20
|Orders Starting At $30
- orders starting at $5 USD = $5 USD delivery charge
- orders starting at $10 USD = $3 USD delivery charge
- orders starting at $20 USD = free delivery
Since you have an understanding of how the delivery price is set, let’s understand how you can set the delivery price in your Shopify store.
1. Log in to your Shopify Admin and go to ‘Settings’. Under “Settings”, click on “Shipping and Delivery”.
2. After you click on “Shipping and Delivery”, go to the “Local Delivery” section. In this section, click on “Manage” next to the location where you want to add conditional delivery rates. In case you have several locations, then click on “Show More” to display all your locations.
3. Then, go to the “Delivery Area” section and click on “Add Conditional Pricing”.
4. Once you click on “Add Conditional Pricing”, complete the steps below for each of the rules that you want to make:
- Enter the order value limit
- Enter the delivery price.
5. Once you complete all the above steps, click on the “Save” button.
Can I Sell Locally On Shopify?
Yes. You can sell locally on Shopify. There are two ways in which you can sell locally. The first way is through local delivery and the second way is through local pickup. Local delivery is one of the fulfillment methods that involves delivering orders directly to your customers’ addresses located within a specified geographic area. Whereas, the local pickup is another fulfillment method that allows your customers to place orders online and pick them up at a physical location, such as a retail store or a designated pickup point.
We have discussed in detail the local delivery fulfillment method in the above section. In this section, we will cover up local pickup.
How To Set Up Local Pickup For Online Orders?
You can offer your local customers to pick up their online orders at your retail store, curbside, or any location that you choose. To set up a local pickup option, you must activate the local pickup option in your Shopify Admin for each location where customers can go to get their orders. Then, you have to set the shipping rate for local pickup as Free and this cannot be changed.
Once you do this, you or any of your staff member needs to verify that each item is in stock for each pickup. After you verify each item, you must notify your customer that the order is ready. You can even print a pickup slip and attach it to the order.
Once the customer comes to the location for order pickup, you must change the order status from unfulfilled to fulfilled in your Shopify Admin. Such an update of the order status is an indication for you as well as your staff members that your customer has picked up the order and no further action is required from your side.
To make things easy for your customer, you can add pickup delivery instructions in your Shopify Admin. You can do this by managing the preferences for your pickup locations. For instance, you can offer curb-side pickup to your customers. In curbside pickup, your customer can call you once he arrives at your store for pickup and then you can bring their order out to them.
Remember, to offer a local pickup option to your customers, you must meet the following eligibility criteria.
- You must activate multi-origin shipping in case your store has multiple locations and you want to offer a pickup option to your customers.
- You must get in touch with Shopiy Support in case you have any queries pertaining to the eligibility requirements.
Note that once you activate the local pickup option, your customers can view this option during checkout. At checkout, they can choose between Ship and Pickup in the ‘Delivery Method’ section of your Shopify store’s checkout page. Once they choose the pickup option, they can then select the location where they want to pick up their order.
Just like local delivery, a customer cannot choose to have some items shipped and some items picked up on the same order. If they wish to use both shipment and local pickup options, they must place two separate orders.
Now, there are certain requirements that you must meet before setting up local pickup as a fulfillment option for your customer.
- You must verify that the fulfillment priority order for your online orders is set up to meet your business needs.
- You must ensure that enough inventory is available at each pickup location to fulfill the orders.
- You must disable pickup apps if you have any.
- You must ensure that each person preparing items for pickup or marking orders as picked up has access to your Shopify admin.
- You must update any location names so that customers know where they should go to pick up their order.
- Allow each of the pickup locations to fulfill online orders.
Remember that allowing a location to fulfill online orders by default means that the non-pickup online orders can take inventory from your pickup or retail locations. Accordingly, you must review your fulfillment priority and modify it whenever necessary.
Also, in your Shopify Admin, there is a “Continue Selling When Out Of Stock” option. In case you select this option for a particular product, then your customers can place orders even for locations that do not have inventory.
You can even set up a location to fulfill pickup orders only.
How To Set Up The Local Pickup Option?
Before you set up a local pick-up option for your customers, you must ensure that you set up the local pickup option for each location where customers can go to get their orders.
To set up local pickup, you must do the following in your Shopify Admin:
- enable local pickup
- choose the expected pickup time that customers are able to see when they check out, and
- mention any pickup instructions in the “Order Ready For Pickup” notification
Now, here are the steps that you need to follow to set up a local pick-up option in your Shopify Admin.
1. Go to your Shopify Admin and click on “Settings”. Under “Settings”, click on “Shipping And Delivery”.
2. Then, under “Shipping and delivery”, go to the “Local Pickup” section. In this section, click on the location that you want to activate. If you have multiple locations, then click on “Show More” to view all of your locations.
3. Then, select the option that says “This Location Offers Local Pickup”.
4. Once you do this, go to the “Information At Checkout” section. In thIs section, change the settings to meet your needs.
5. The next step is optional. It relates to specifying the pickup instructions for your customer. In case you want to give pickup instructions, then under the “Order Ready For Pickup” notification, enter pickup instructions for your customers.
6. Finally, click on the ‘Save’ button to save the changes that you have made.
By following the above-mentioned steps, you should be able to set up local delivery and pickup on Shopify and provide your customers with a convenient option for receiving their orders. Keep in mind that Shopify may update its interface and features, so refer to the latest documentation or contact Shopify support for the most up-to-date information.